Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Question of Week, Sept. 1, 2008

I always like to be prepared, so I carry lots of various things, both physical and intangible, with me. Coming to college really showed me how much I do like to carry and how I often overpack. The list of what I brought goes on and on, from basics like a toothbrush and shampoo to a favorite stuffed animal, posters of my favorite hockey players, pictures of my family, friends, and home area, clothes, food, and even a pair of handweights to help me stay in shape. I don't like to be bored, so I try to carry a pen and some paper wherever I go. I like to be able to write down my experiences, thoughts, dreams, or even just to-do lists. The soldiers also carried personal items, though not to the extent that I have! They were much more lacking in space and had to bring only the smallest most important objects with them. However, we both brought comfort items; things that remind us of the people and the places that we left behind on our journeys. Just a glance at a picture of a smiling face or the scenery that comprises "home" can make a day brighter. We both brought hygeine products to prolong our lives, food for when our "overseers" (the Army and the college) don't provide, and also memories of a past life and experiences. In a scaled down and twisted way, I can feel the similar feelings of separation from friends and loved ones. I also carry the hope that I will see them again soon, hope for the safety of us all, worry about what the next day will bring, and anticipation of reunions. The soldiers were in a much more dangerous situation than I am, so their emotions were even more difficult, but pretty much of the same nature. As humans, we have the same basic needs of survival and the same driving factors in our lives. One can observe this by studying what we all carry with us both on a daily basis and when journeying.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Good points! Are there some objects that are taking on more importance to you as you settle into college?

I look forward to reading your future posts.